Saturday, February 21, 2009

Gay Student dismissed from ROTC... for being Gay?!?

A gay George Washington University freshman has found himself at the center of the conflict over the federal “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy after being dismissed from the school’s Navy ROTC program. As a gay man, Belok said he understood how difficult it could be to conceal his homosexuality while serving in the armed forces. “I had done a report on ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ in 12th grade,” he explained in an interview with The Hoya. “I knew what it meant to be gay in the military.”

Nonetheless, he planned to keep his sexual orientation under wraps for the time being. Last fall, however, Belok’s boyfriend visited him at GWU and the two attended a fraternity party where other NROTC members saw them together. “We kissed at the party,” he said. “I was surprised when my commanding officer called me about it a few weeks later.”

Read full article

No comments:

Post a Comment