Friday, February 27, 2009

Study: LGBT students of color face more discrimination in school

UH... DUH!

According to a new study done reports that LGBT students of color face a greater amount of discrimination at school. A NEW STUDY?! really, they could have just asked me and I would have told them this is true!?!

The research paper: Shared Differences: The Experiences of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Students of Color in Our Nation’s Schools, was rele ased by GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network. The report documents the experiences of over 2,000 LGBT middle and high school students of color who were African American or Black, Latino, Asian or Pacific Islander, Native American, and multiracial. [365gay.com]
So for those of you have not heard of the term intersectionalities you really need to get on the 2.0 generation bus. Intersectionality refers to the multiple identities a person may claim as part of who they are. Personally I, for example, identify as a young, queer (gay), mexican american (Latino), raised middle class (now broke), progessive, college graduate. Now I am not one for labels and such but do to society's persistant need to place us all in boxes these are what I would choose. All of these identities intersex themselves within me and make up my intersectionalities. Now common sense would tell you that if i identify with more than one marginalized community that (obviously) I am going to face more discrimination that those that do not. As a person of color and a queer person I am going to face two different types of discrimination one based on the color of my skin and enthic background, and the other based on who I prefer to sleep with (which is really no one's business except mine... and my readers). Come on, its like 1+1=2. Now I am not sure how much time and money was put into this study, but if it was need to show straight people who need a "study" to prove it then fine. But really?? Well those are my two cents.
Here is the rest of the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment